#082 Facing the Unexpected: How to Get to College During Tough Times with Wendy Briley
In this episode, Lisa and Wendy discuss:
- What are the types of unexpected circumstances that may derail college planning?
- When facing unexpected family challenges during the college-bound process, what does (and doesn’t) change.
- Identifying support for your student when the unexpected strikes your family.
- Building a well-balanced college list that fits your student’s circumstances (both current and possible).
- Being proactive, preparing documents, and tracking appropriate financials.
- Many people in your student’s sphere of influence can assist your student, often free of charge, to make their college goals happen when circumstances change.
- Share what you are going through – people will step up, on your behalf, to point you and your student in the right direction.
- No matter what happens, you want your student to have options.
- Look at staying within the budget. As parents, don’t co-sign loans – you need to be able to take care of your own financials and retirement.
“The more proactive you are, it serves you better. There’s a lot of things colleges can do that we don’t necessarily know about until we have reached out.” – Wendy Briley
About Wendy Briley:
Wendy is an Independent Educational Consultant who has been in private practice for 7 years. In 2019 she founded the nonprofit organization College Consultants Care which provides free college application assistance to students affected by cancer.
- #036 How to know if a college is giving their best price https://www.flourishcoachingco.com/podcast/036-how-to-know-if-a-college-is-giving-their-best-price/
- #046 How to Recession Proof Your College Bound Journey
- #032 Your College List: Financial Fit https://www.flourishcoachingco.com/podcast/032-your-college-list-financial-fit/
- #009 How Smart Parents Find the Right School for the Right Price https://www.flourishcoachingco.com/podcast/9-how-smart-parents-find-the-right-school-for-the-right-price/
Get Lisa’s Free on-demand video: How-to guide for your teen to choose the right major, college, & career…(without painting themselves into a corner, missing crucial deadlines, or risking choices you both regret).
Connect with Wendy:
Connect with Lisa: