#092 Who Community Colleges & Regional Campuses are Especially Good For with Stephanie Duguid
In this episode, Lisa and Stephanie discuss:
- Reasons your student might consider community college instead of or before transitioning to a 4-year university.
- Advantages of a community college and reasons your student should invest time in a visit to the campus.
- Differences between community colleges, regional campuses, and technical colleges.
- The correct verbiage you need to ask the right questions of the colleges and universities your student is looking into.
- Community colleges are not lesser colleges. They are, however, tailored to the community that the school is in.
- Community colleges are 2-year colleges, and the credits earned transfer to 4-year colleges. Your student will want research to ensure the community college will support their desired career path, as it may not be the case for all future majors.
- Career and technical degrees are not lesser degrees. Your student would be learning their livelihood in 2 years and can make a great living in those jobs.
- There are many organizations your student can engage with at community colleges. Regardless of the size of the school, there are engagement and scholarship opportunities that are often overlooked.
“You are welcome on the community college campus. There are people there waiting to answer your questions. Don’t be shy, don’t be scared – step on campus, find an office, and they will direct you to the right place to get your questions answered. It might change your life.” – Stephanie Duguid
About Stephanie Duguid:
As the founder of Do Good Leadership, Dr. Stephanie Duguid is a motivational speaker, educational consultant, leadership & success coach, radio show host, and author who strives to help individuals become intentional in developing goals, purposeful in reaching their full potential and helps to solve challenges. Her primary focus is helping Women in Education develop leadership skills and confidence in 90 days to enter their ideal leadership role (current or future).
Dr. Stephanie Duguid was most recently a respected community college administrator with extensive experience. She has experience as an instructor, Division Chair, CTE, and Academic Administrator and most recently served as the Dean of Academic Instruction and Chief Academic Officer. She also has over 10 years of experience in the K-12 setting as a teacher and athletic trainer.
Dr. Duguid is married to Brent Duguid, a college administrator, and has two teenage boys. Dr. Duguid resides in south-central Mississippi.
Episodes About How to Prepare Teens to Thrive in College:
#020 Teaching Your Teen “How to College”: https://www.flourishcoachingco.com/podcast/20-teaching-your-teen-how-to-college/
#088 Executive Function Skills for College Success with Lauran Kerr-Heraly: https://www.flourishcoachingco.com/podcast/088-executive-function-skills-for-college-success-with-lauran-kerr-heraly/
#068 How to Get the Most Out Of College with Elliot Felix: https://www.flourishcoachingco.com/podcast/068-how-to-get-the-most-out-of-college-with-elliot-felix/
Get Lisa’s complimentary on-demand video: How-to guide for your teen to choose the right major, college, & career…(without painting themselves into a corner, missing crucial deadlines, or risking choices you both regret).
Connect with Stephanie:
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogoodleadership
Connect with Lisa: